Attorney General Jack Conway and his Office of Special Prosecutions today announced the sentencing of a former social worker with the Cabinet for Health and Family Services for falsifying child abuse and neglect reports. Anderson Circuit Judge Charles Hickman sentenced 61-year-old Margaret “Geri” Murphy to five years in prison following her guilty plea in May to nine felony counts of tampering with public records in connection with her role as a front-line worker investigating allegations of child abuse and neglect in Anderson County.
Prosecution of this case was handled by General Conway’s Office of Special Prosecutions at the request of Laura Donnell, Commonwealth’s Attorney for the 53rd Judicial Circuit representing Anderson, Shelby and Spencer counties. The Attorney General’s Department of Criminal Investigations (DCI) began investigating the allegations against Murphy after receiving a complaint from a citizen who had Murphy assigned to a court case involving her family.
“Geri Murphy’s actions were unconscionable,” General Conway said. “Ms. Murphy had a responsibility to investigate allegations of child abuse or neglect and to take action to protect children from these heinous crimes. She failed to execute her duties and to protect Kentucky’s youngest and most vulnerable citizens. The sentence handed down today sends a critical message that damaging the integrity of the Cabinet’s system of support for child victims will not be tolerated.”
Murphy’s attorney requested that she receive probation. Because of the seriousness of the offenses and the fact that children’s lives were at risk, General Conway’s prosecutors opposed probation and recommended a sentence of five years on each count to run concurrently, for a total of five years in prison.
See on pageonekentucky.com
Read more articles:
- A Convicted Paedophile Managed To Foster A Child
- April 25th is the 6th Annual Parental Alienation Awareness Day! (via World4Justice : NOW! Lobby Forum.)
- Black Positive Image
- Corrupt Social Worker Finally Sentenced To Prison
- Freedom Without Censorship
- Judge upholds contempt finding against three editors over childcare case
- Mid Staffs Scandal Is A Disgrace For Social Work, Too
- Northamptonshire Social Services Their Take On Initial Assessments (towardchange.wordpress.com)
- Parents Of ‘Murdered’ Seven Week Old Appear In Court
- Political Corruption
- Protection and Justice Is This Really Social Care Or Indeed Social Scare?
- Secret Family Courts | Parents Rights Blog
- Social Care Or Social Scare
- They can create an illusion of caring for children
- TOWARDCHANGE ACTIVIST 4 CHILDREN AND FAMILIES
- UK: High Court Rules In Favour Of Gay Male Couple In Parental Dispute With Lesbian Couples