Human Rights Case Defends Privacy Of Medical Records
Northamptonshire County Council Must Explain Why It Is Sharing My Medical Records With Northamptonshire Police Force And Other Parties Without My Informed Consent.
Court rules that an application to see someone’s medical records against their will would be a breach of their human rights.
17 June 2004
Specialist human rights solicitor, Sean Humber, acted for a client who was unhappy about the application by a third party for a court order which would force his doctors to release his medical records without his permission. The third party argued that they needed to see our client’s medical records in their investigation of a personal injury claim which was being brought by another member of his client’s family against them.
European Convention on Human Rights
The judge rejected the application for the court order, which he described as ‘unique and novel’. He said the disclosure of the records would be a breach of our client’s rights under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which protects our right to respect for a private and family life.
Sean Humber said:
“It is pleasing that the Court has upheld an individual’s right to keep his or her medical records private and recognised that the disclosure of this information, without the person’s permission, would amount to a breach of human rights.”
The case was A-v-X and B(non party).
Medical Records Confidentiality
Access to Medical Reports Act 1988
An Act to establish a right of access by individuals to reports relating to themselves provided by medical practitioners for employment or insurance purposes and to make provision for related matters. Click here to read more>>>
- ANOTHER SOCIAL WORKER CAUGHT WITH CHILD-PORN.
- Boy ‘killed himself after being raped’
- Child Support Agency.
- CPS Handbook Revision, July 2013.
- False Abuse Claims Are The New Court Weapon, Retiring Judge Says.
- Names And Addresses Of Some Judges
- Northampton Borough Council: Save The Children Fund.
- Parentalrights.org – Protecting Children by Empowering Parents.
- TEDDY PENDERGRASS – Wake Up Everybody (The Essential Teddy Pendergrass)
- Terminating parental responsibility.
- Top court removes judge from bench for lying under oath – ABA Journal
- Secret Family Courts | Parents Rights Blog..
- UK Social Workers Exposed