The State And The Development Of Social Services
It is now recognised that the development of state social services in Britain in the 19th and 20th centuries did not eliminate the voluntary sector.
During the first couple of centuries, children were being sent as indentured servants to Virginia and other American colonies, some as convicted criminals, and others were later transported to the penal colonies in Australia.
At the peak of activities over 50 charitable organisations were involved in child (or juvenile) migration. Some were solely dedicated to the collection and despatch of orphaned or neglected children. One early practitioner was the philanthropist Captain Edward Brenton, whose Children’s Friend Society sent over 1,150 youngsters mainly to the Cape between 1832 and 1841 (G. Blackburn, The Children’s Friend Society: Juvenile Emigrants to Western Australia, South Africa and Canada 1834-42, Northbridge, 1993).
Michael Gove: I’m ending this scandal over children’s care
That is why I have fought to make it easier to take children in need into care. We should evacuate them from homes where they are being abused and neglected. I am glad the changes we have made to the adoption system mean more children are now being placed – permanently – with loving families. By Michael Gove on 12 Sep 2013, source The Telegraph.
A chilling and scary statement, which may send shivers down some peoples spines.
The welfare principle was strengthened in the children Act 1989. The principle developed in case law and emerged in statute as a by product of a struggle to equalise the position of mothers and fathers in relation to the guardianship of their children.
The welfare principle has come to be known in one form or another to many national legal system and has important analogues in diverse cultural, religious and other traditions” (Alston, 1996)
All actions concerning children, whether undertaken by courts of law, the best interests of the child shall be o primary consideration (UN General Assembly res 45/118, 1989).
Thus the pervasive nature of welfare and the consequent difficulty of getting beyond this paradigm must be recognised (CULL & ROCHE THE LAW AND SOCIAL WORK, 2001.)
Corporate Social Responsibility
- Cash for kids in ‘kids for cash’
- Circuit Bench Retirement – Stephen Phillip Waine.
- Ex-judge Ciavarella gets 28 years in children for cash case.
- Ex-District Judge Sentenced to 6 Years in Prison
- Expert Says Cherokee Courts May Have Final Say In ‘Baby Veronica.
- Government prepares anti-corruption law – The Slovak Spectator.
- Northampton Borough Council: Michael Ellis(British politician)
- Northampton Borough Council:Northamptonshire Police Force …
- Police Act 1964 – Wikipedia, thefree encyclopedia.
- Robert Steele on Blogging.
- TEDDY PENDERGRASS – Wake Up Everybody (The Essential Teddy Pendergrass).
- Terminating parental responsibility.
- Top court removes judge from bench for lying under oath – ABA Journal.
- Secret Family Courts | Parents Rights Blog.
- UK Social Workers Exposed.
- 60 Years Pass Since Ratification Of European Convention On Human Rights.
- UK’s Child Protection System Is An International Scandal.