The Turnbull government has agreed to lead a national redress scheme for child sexual abuse survivors but has not committed to contributing any shortfall funding for institutions that cannot pay compensation.
Sourced through Scoop.it from: www.thecourier.com.au
Attorney-General George Brandis and Social Services Minister Christian Porter said in a joint statement on Friday that they would develop a "nationally consistent approach" so that survivors of all institutions would "receive proper redress, irrespective of the location of the institution at the time of the offending or the present status of the offending institution".
"We will soon commence discussions with the states and territories to carefully work through the many complex issues to achieve an outcome for survivors as soon as possible," they said, without setting a deadline for negotiations.
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse recommended in September that the federal government announce whether it would establish a $4.3 billion national redress scheme for 60,000 abuse survivors by the end of 2015. It said the scheme should be established no later than 1 July 2017.
The federal government previously rejected the notion of a national scheme outright, with the Australian Government Solicitor telling the commission this would be complex and require too many resources. It also questioned whether the Commonwealth government had legal authority to act as the co-ordinator of the scheme.