High Sheriff Northamptonshire: Mrs Caroline Brocklehurst
Mrs Caroline Brocklehurst made her Declaration as The High Sheriff of Northamptonshire at the Sessions House in Northampton on 1st April 2016.
The Role of High Sheriff
- Attending on High Court Judges on circuit and ensuring their well being.
- Proclaiming the accession of a new Sovereign and maintaining the loyalty of subjects to the Crown.
Subjects To The Crown.
From 1949, the status of British subject was also known by the term Commonwealth citizen, and included any person who was one of the following:
- A citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies.
- A citizen of any other Commonwealth country.
- One of a limited number of British subjects without citizenship.
Today, High Sheriffs aim to support voluntary and statutory bodies engaged in all aspects of law and order. They take a special interest in the activities of such statutory bodies as the police, the prison service and the probation service. Under the Criminal Law Act 1826, they are required to give monetary awards to people who, in the opinion of Judges at a criminal trial, have been active in the apprehension of specific offenders.
Source: High Sheriff Northamptonshire.